Yaesu was founded as Yaesu Musen Co., Ltd. (八重洲無線株式会社, Yaesu Musen Kabushiki-gaisha?) in 1959 by Sako Hasegawa in the Tokyo neighborhood of Yaesu. The original plan was to develop and manufacture amateur radio transmitters for the Japanese market but by 1964 there were sales agreements placed in Australia and Germany.

Yaesu's famous 'F' line of equipment was introduced in 1965. Yaesu became an important presence in the U.S. amateur radio market with the introduction and improvement of its very popular FT-101 line of equipment in the 1970s.

Yaesu Musen acquired "STANDARD" brand radio equipments business of Marantz Japan in 1998, and changed the company name to Vertex Standard Co., Ltd. (株式会社バーテックススタンダード, Kabushiki-gaisha Bātekkusu Sutandādo?) in 2000. In 2007, Motorola announced its intention to purchase 80% of Vertex Standard and form a joint venture with Tokogiken which will hold the other 20%. This was completed in January 2008.